NEPOMAK, in collaboration with the Open University of Cyprus (OUC), and with the generous sponsorship of the Office of the Presidential Commissioner, offer two online courses to our members:
- Modern Greek language – the most commonly spoken language in Cyprus.
- Introduction to the history of Cyprus.
Both courses are studied online through the OUC’s specialist distance learning platform. Fees for each course are fully covered for 15 NEPOMAK members by the Office of the Presidential Commissioner – so you don’t have to spend a penny.
Modern Greek language course
- Features authentic texts and exercises
- Teaches new vocabulary using everyday settings
- Reaches language level ‘B2’ at the end of two semesters. Level B2 corresponds to being able to speak Greek independently.
- Promotes learning Greek as a second language amongst diaspora Cypriots.
The course starts at beginner level and students will progress to level B2 over two semesters. Students are placed in the class that reflects their prior knowledge of Modern Greek through an online test to ensure they receive the most beneficial teaching.
Applications are now open and will close on 25 May 2021. This course will run from September to December 2021 with two mid-semester assessments and a final exam in December.
Applications for the intermediate and advanced level courses will open in 2020.
Step-by-step guide to applying (please email email@example.com if you need further assistance):
1) Click ‘apply’ and create a new account
2) The OUC will send you a link by email to confirm your new account
3) Change the default password to a new, personal one
4) Enter your personal details and then select “Programme for Expatriates (undergraduate)” under “Programs of Interest”.
5) Under “My Applications”, click “Create New” and select:
Registration Type: Programs of Study
Program of Study: Programme for Expatriates (undergraduate)
It should then autofill the rest of the fields.
6) Upload your school leavers/degree certificate and an id.
7) Click “Submit Application”
8) Then, roughly a week after you have submitted an application, you’ll receive an email asking you to enrol in the course of your choice. Select at least “Ελληνική Γλώσσα I”.
Introduction to the history of Cyprus
This e-class teaches an overview of the history of Cyprus from antiquity (4th Century AD) until when Cyprus entered the European Union in 2004.
It covers everything in between including: Byzantine Cyprus, Frankish Cyprus, Ottoman Cyprus, British Cyprus, the EOKA struggle, Cypriot independence, inter-communal conflicts, the coup, the invasion by Turkey and the attempts to find a solution to the Cyprus issue.
Applications for ‘Introduction to the history of Cyprus’ are now open and close on 6 November, the course will run from January to May.
Who can apply?
Both courses are free to 15 NEPOMAK members (if you are not already a member it’s free and easy to sign up now – just click here). You must also have finished high/secondary school. The course costs €650 to non-NEPOMAK members.
- How many hours should I dedicate to the course each week?
It is recommended that 2-3 hours per week are dedicated to the course in order for the e-lessons to be completed as well as the activities. However, this can depend on how you learn and may require less or more time from you.
- What happens if I can't attend one of the e-lessons during the week?
We understand you all live busy lives. The e-lessons will be recorded and kept online for you to watch at a convenient time for you. The benefit of attending online will be the engagement available to you during real time. You will also be able to contact the teachers by email if you have any questions that you want answered or simply to provide additional support.
- Are the assignments and exam a requirement to complete the course?
Yes. In order to receive the certification at the end, both assignments need to be handed in within deadline and the exam needs to be written in May.
- How advanced is the Greek language course?
There are four levels that will be taught for the Greek language course. The beginner course starts in January and will consist of teaching basic communication skills. Applications for the three higher levels will open during the course of 2019 – keep an eye on our Facebook pages and website for more information.
- How much is the course?
The course is fully covered for NEPOMAK members by the Office of the Presidential Commissioner.
Don't just take it from us, hear it from them
Sydney, Australia | 2019
Sydney, Australia | 2019